RSA Certificate Rules – State By State

Responsible Service of Alcohol Laws in Australia by State

RSA Laws in New South Wales

In New South Wales (NSW), consumption of liquor and all alcoholic beverages is regulated by the 2007 Liquor Act.  According to this act, the following misbehaviours are considered illegal:

  • Service of alcohol to intoxicated individuals and minors
  • Failing to leave licensed premises after being asked by the proper authorities
  • Insisting to get inside the venue after being ejected.

The act permits minors to enter licensed premises as long as they are accompanied by 1 legal-aged guardian, yet purchasing liquor or any alcoholic drink is not allowed.  Minors are not to be sold with alcoholic beverages and are not allowed to bring home any alcohol from licensed venues. NSW’s liquor acts are against the service, selling and supply of liquor and alcohol to underage individuals and intoxicated consumers.

However, there isn’t any law is NSW that stops minors from consuming and having liquor inside private premises.

RSA in South Australia

In South Australia, the Liquor Licensing Act of 1997 is the law that regulates and monitors alcohol consumption among the community.  The legislation aims to lessen the risk of harm and threats associated with excessive alcohol consumption among members of the community.  In 1836 to 1839, the governor issues liquor licences for citizens and community members.  In 1968, allowable age for alcohol consumption went down to 20 and in 1971, it ended up in 18.

In 1839, there is a liquor and alcohol consumption act that applies to the Province, the Act No.1.  It entails 3 major licenses, the General Publican’s Licence, the Wine, Ale Beer and other Malt Liquor Licence and the Storekeeper’s Licence.

In 1839, Storekeeper’s Colonial Wine Licence was put into place.

RSA in Victoria

The legislation that monitors liquor and alcohol consumption in the state of Victoria is the Liquor Control Reform Act of 1998.  This act is governed by the Consumer Affairs Victoria. Just like in most states and territories of Australia, selling alcoholic drinks to minors or underage individuals is considered an illegal act.  However, the act may be set aside if the minor is accompanied by a parent, a guardian or anyone of legal age.

Minors are prohibited from entering licensed premises (business establishments where liquor and alcoholic drinks are sold and consumed), unless accompanied by at least 1 adult.

Different liquor licences are also available.  Some of these are:

  • BYO Permit – it allows customers to bring their own liquor inside venues.  There are clubs and restaurants in Victoria that don’t want to be held responsible with the alcohol consumption of their customers, and don’t want to have their own licence.  This permit is most applicable.
  • General Licence – this liquor licence applies to pubs, hotels and taverns.  It allows the retail and distribution of liquor and alcoholic beverages to consumers for consumption.
  • On-premises licence – a permit that allows the selling of alcoholic beverages at public venues, such as restaurants, cafes, bars, etc.
  • Packaged Liquor Licence – this is for the sale and supply of alcohol to patrons that prefer to them home from retail stores or supermarkets.

Other special liquor licences in Victoria are:

  • Full club licence
  • Pre-retail licence (brewer producers, wholesalers and liquor importers)
  • Renewable limited club licence
  • Temporary limited licence
  • Renewable limited licence
  • Restricted club licence
  • Vigneron’s licence

There are some areas in Melbourne considered as “dry areas”, wherein no liquor licence exists. Underage individuals are not allowed to carry or bring liquor in public.  If caught, the liquor is confiscated, fines and penalties are to be charged and parents or guardians shall be notified.  In 2011, adults caught serving alcoholic beverages to minors are to be charged with fines that can cost as much as $7,000.

RSA in Western Australia

Western Australia’s legislation for the control and regulation of alcohol is the Liquor Control Act of 1988.  The Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor of WA has its own regulating body, the Liquor Control Regulations of 1989.

The Liquor Control Act of 1988 has a mission to regulate and control the selling, distribution and consumption of alcohol in WA. The two legislations consider it illegal for minors to purchase or to consume alcoholic drinks in licensed venues, regardless of their parent or guardian’s consent.  Alcohol consumption in minors can have a penalty of as much as $2,000.  Consumption of alcohol in public is strictly prohibited.


The following proofs of Identification are the only documents accepted as proof-of-age:

  • Current passport (Australian or foreign)
  • Current Australian Driver Licence
  • Current Western Australian Proof-of-age card



Leave a Reply

/* ]]> */